Australian Access Federation

You are here: Home Corpora Corpus of Oz Early English 3-070 (Text)

3-070 (Text)

Item metadata
addressee author,male,Patterson, John Hunter,39
Narrative Discourse
Word Count :
Plaint Text :
Public Written
Bride, 1898
Document metadata

3-070-plain.txt — 3 KB

File contents

In November 1836, I had shipped six cargoes of sheep from V. D. Land for Port Phillip, and landed myself, early in December, at Williamstown, and finding the country almost totally unoccupied, I took up the Greenhill Station about 25 miles north, and posted an out-station at what is now called Bacchus Marsh - then without a white inhabitant. Soon after my occupation, say early in 1837, Messrs. James Clarke, Bacchus, Whyte Brothers, and, I believe, Messrs. Powlett and Green, took up country beyond me to the west, called the Pentland Hills, and in an exceedingly short space of time that whole country was stocked with sheep from V. D. Land, as the arrivals at Geelong, with sheep, pressed up the Moorabool till they came in contact with the pioneers of Williamstown. In 1838, the Whyte Brothers travelled west, with their stock, in search of another run, and took up a country about the Wannon, but met with great difficulties from the determined ferocity of the aborigines, which ended in a conflict and great loss of life to the latter. 
The Messrs. Wedge, the same year, took up a run called the Grange, south of the Whytes; and also, like them, experienced great annoyance from the natives. In 1839 they sold to William Forlonge, who sold to me in 1840. At that period the country between that and Geelong was very thinly peopled - many parts being unoccupied, and that that was taken up was thinly stocked.
The aggressions of the aborigines in that quarter at that time were such as to call for the interference of the Crown Lands Commissioner, Captain Fyans.
In October 1843, I took my family to a station on the north of W. Mollison's, which was taken up by Messrs. Dutton, Simson, and Darlot in 1841 or 1842, who sold to Rule, a builder in Melbourne, from whom I purchased, and called it Tourbouric, after the aboriginal name of a large hill there. This station was in a state of nature, and on it I erected very considerable improvements, which are now used as an inn called the Pick and Shovel.
The country down the Campaspe to the Murray, and down that river, was first, I believe, settled in 1840, but I cannot speak positively, as I did not visit it till 1846, when I selected some unoccupied country (which I named Pine Grove, from the number of pines in that locality), on the plains to the south of the Murray and east of the Mount Hope Creek. At that period the country round was but lightly stocked.
Moorabee, the station on which I now reside, was taken up by Captain Hutton about 1838 or 1839. He sold to Daniel Jennings, who sold to C. H. Ebden, who only held it about three months, when I purchased it in August 1851, at a very high rate, under the firm conviction that the orders of Her Gracious Majesty would be carried out in the fullest integrity towards the occupants of Crown Lands termed "squatters." 
The aborigines have invariably shown themselves hostile to the settlement of new country, but became more reconciled as their intimacy increased with the Europeans. I have always been favourably disposed towards them, and tried to encourage those that visited my stations in habits of industry by rewarding them well when they did exert themselves, and I would have been most pleased had I succeeded in ameliorating their condition; but I regret to add I found all my endeavours fruitless, and extraordinary to say, with civilization they are so fast decreasing from a constant warfare kept up amongst them, together with disease, that in an extraordinary short space of time I believe the race will become extinct.