Australian Access Federation

You are here: Home Corpora Corpus of Oz Early English 1-203 (Raw)

1-203 (Raw)

Item metadata
author,male,Macquarie, Lachlan,60 addressee
Narrative Discourse
Word Count :
Plaint Text :
Private Written
Macquarie, 1822
Document metadata

1-203-raw.txt — 51 KB

File contents

Tuesday 12. Feby 1822.
At 11. a.m. the 48th Regt. Paraded under arms in the Government Domain, forming a lane from Government House to the North Gate, leading to the Private Landing Place below Lachlan's Garden on Bennelong's Point; the governor, Lt. Governor, the Principal Civil and Military Officers of Government and other Gentlemen of the Town of Sydney, as well as many from the Interior, assembling at the same Hour, at Government House, to take leave of me on my departure from the Colony. 
At Noon, Mrs. Macquarie (attended by Sir Thomas Brisbane), our dear Boy, and myself, set out from Government House accompanied by all those Gentlemen who came to take Leave of us, as well as by an immense concourse of the other Inhabitants of Sydney, who followed us through the Domain and the Place of Embarkation; manifesting by their melancholy looks and by every other possible desmonstration [sic], their sincere and undisguised regret at our departure from the Colony 
Taking leave of those Friends who thus attended us, we embarked on board the Government Barge by Half past 12 o'clock at the Private Stairs, accompanied by Sir Thomas and some few of our more particular Friends. 
From thence we were slowly rowed through the Ships in the Cove, which were all manned with Colours displayed, and many of them Saluting in honor of the occasion; the Battery saluting at the same time with 19 Guns. 
The New Fort (named Fort Macquarie) and all the Rocks on Bennelong's Point, as well as Dawes Battery -- and the Rocks on the Western Side of the Harbour, were covered with Men, Women, and Children, and a vast number of Boats were also sailing or rowing in the Harbour full of People, cheering us repeatedly as we passed along through them. -- This was to us a very grand and gratifying sight -- but at the same time a most affecting scene, and could not be viewed by Mrs. Macquarie or myself without the deepest emotion, after a residence of upwards of Twelve years amongst these poor attached People! 
By 1. p.m. we got on board the Surry, where Capt. Raine her Commander and his officers received us with all one attention. 
Sir Thomas Brisbane, and our other particular Friends, who accompanied us on board, inspected our accommodations, and were much pleased with them. 
The Govr. and suite remained on board with us till 2 o'clock and then took a cordial and very friendly leave of us. -- The Ship then got under weigh, and worked down the Harbour, intending to get out to Sea if possible before Sunset. -- The Wind however blowing strong from the South East obliged us to come to anchor in Watsons Bay for the Night. -- All our Servants, Baggage, Live Stock and Stores, having been Shipped some few days before our own Embarkation, we are now ready to go to Sea at a moment's notice -- Capt. Antill, and our good faithful Serjt. Whalan, remained all night on board with us. --- 
Wednesday 13th.
The Wind continues to blow still from the South East, we were unable to proceed to Sea. 
Thursday 14th.
The Wind still continues full, and precludes the possibility of our going to Sea. -- Mr. Judge Advocate Wylde having come off to see us on Wednesday afternoon, was obliged to remain with us all that and this day too, on account of the very boisterous state of the weather. 
Capt. Antill stole off from us this morning -- and did not come near us any. -- The poor good Serjeant however remained still with us -- having this day carried Lachlan on shore to Sydney, but came off with him again in the Evening. --- 
Friday 15. Feby.
This Wind being fair for our getting out, the Signal for sailing was made at 7 o'clock this morning. Mr Judge Advt. Wylde took an early Breakfast and took his leave of us, landing at the Pilot's House in Watsons Bay where he had his Horse waiting him. 
At 8 a.m. weighed anchor and made sail out of the Harbour, and by 9 we cleared the Heads of Port Jackson. We then lay to for about Half an Hour to enable to write a few Letters to Sir Thomas Brisbane and other Friends at Sydney. -- Our good and faithful attached Serjeant and his two sons James and Charley, remained with us on board till the last moment, and after I had delivered him my Letters for the shore we took an affectionate leave of them; all of us being very deeply affected -- and poor dear Lachlan was particularly so - suffering great distress in taking leave ( -- most likely forever --) of his dear good Serjeant and his favorite [sic] young friend Charley. --- 
The Serjeant and Pilot having left us, we made sail and proceeded on our Voyage for England via Cape Horn; the Wind being fair and blowing a very fine Breeze at West South West, and steering South East, with the intention of going round by the South End of New Zealand. --- 
The Ship Minerva for New Zealand, the Ship Minstrel for the Whale Fishery, and the Ship John Bull for Bengal, sailed at the same time with us from Port Jackson. By the latter Ship I sent a present of a very fine Pair of large Emus for the Marquis of Hastings, Gvr. Genl. of India, in charge of Capt. Orman 
At 4. p.m. we lost sight of the Light House and the Heads of Port Jackson.
The following Persons, (exclusive of Mrs. Macquarie Lachlan and myself) formed our Family and Suite on board the Surry: vizt
Major Taylor & Son - - 2
Lieut. H. Macquarie ADC - - 1
George & Mary Jarvis - - 2
John & Nancy Moore - - 2
Ann James & Child - - 2
Martin Lawlor - Servt. - - 1
James White - Cook - - 1
Carried over - - 11 
Brot.. over __________ 11 Persons 
Thomas Turner -- Stockman 1
William Walker -- Poulterer 1
Nathaniel Scott -- Groom 1 
Wm. Buckle [NN] -- Servt. to Major Taylor} 1
add 15 
The Govr. Mrs. M. & Lachlan -- 3
Total Family & Suite 18 Persons
N.B. Provisions & Water for 5 months for the above number of souls were shipped on board the Surry at Sydney. 
The following Live Stock, and Pets, were also shipped on board the Surry at Sydney, some few days previous to our own Embarkation: -- vizt.
1 Horse - Sultan
1 Cow - Fortune
3 Goats
42 Sheep
9 Pigs
21 Turkeys
47 Geese
60 Ducks
106 Fowls
N.B. Indian Corn, Bran, and Hay, sufficient for Five Months for the above Live Stock & Pets, were laid in at Sydney & put on board. 
List of Pets shipped on board the Surry: vizt.
7 Kangaroos
6 Emus
7 Black Swans
4 Cape Barren Geese
2 Native Companions
1 [NN?] Emu
2 White Cockatoos
2 Bronze-Wing Pigeons
4 Wanga-Wanga Pigeons
and also several Parrots and Lowries belonging to Lachlan. 
Unfortunately one of the 7 Kangaroos shipped on the Surry was killed by the other Kangaroos soon after coming on board, being beat to Death by his own Companions; -- thus leaving only Six Kangaroos on the day of our departure from Port Jackson. --- 
N.B. The foregoing Pets were all put on board in large strong Cedar Cases, from which the larger were taken out on their coming on board, and put into roomy well-aired Pens made for them on the Gun Deck, which is considered better calculated for their Health & safety. 
List of the Names of the Officers and Crew of the Ship Surry of London. Burthen 443 Tons: -- vizt.
1 Mr. Thomas Raine -- Comr.
2 Dr. David Ramsay -- Surgeon.
3 Mr. John Hall -- Chief Officer.
4 Mr. Robert Powers 2nd [Officer].
5 Mathew Howman -- Boatswain
6 Henry Chambers -- Gunner --
7 Neits Bastian -- Sail Maker
8 William Bruce -- Carpenter --
9 Joseph Cockburn -- Cook. --
10 David Somerville -- Steward.
11 Samuel Pulman -- Boatswains Mate
12 William White -- Cooper. -- 
Brought Over --- 
13 William Waller -- Seaman
14 Andrew Johnson --[ditto] 
15 Thomas Costello -- [ditto] 
16 George Rood -- [ditto] 
17 William Farrow -- [ditto] 
18 Robert Mathison -- [ditto] 
19 Charles Jordan -- [ditto] 
20 William Wright -- [ditto] 
21 Seth Weeks -- [ditto] 
22 Robert Wilson -- [ditto] 
23 Robert Windham -- [ditto] 
24 Burford -- Servt.
25 Joshua Leving -- Seaman
26 James Green -- [ditto] 
27 John Henshaw - -[ditto] 
 --- --- --- --- --- --- -Carried over !
Brot.. over !
28 Edward Cope --Apprentice
29 William Nieve -- [ditto] 
30 Edward Howman -- [ditto] 
Steerage Passengers
1 Bowser Soldier 48th 
2 Lambert Eaton -- Free Man
No. Persons
The Govr., Family, & Suite 18
Ship's Company 30
Steerage Passengers 2
Total No. Persons on board 50
The following live trees, Plants & Flowers and seeds belonging to me were embarked at Port Jackson, in Tubs or Cabins: --vizt.
2 large Tubs -- each containing two Norfolk Pine Trees
2 large tubs, containing gigantic lillies! [sic] 
2 Plant Cabins -- containing various Plants & Flowers of Australia
8 Separate Parcels of various Seeds of ditto Country for Friends at Home. --- 
Monday 25. Feby !
At Daylight this morning, we altered our Course to East by South, being now clear of the "Snares" and other dangerous obstructions to the Southward of New Zealand. --- 
A very smart gale came on the Evening and blew very fresh all Night at North West. --- 
Wedy. 27. Feby.
The gale moderated this Evening, having blown very hard for the last two dayswith a very high and heavy Sea. --- 
Friday 1. March !
We are this day a Fortnight from Port Jackson: -- Latd. 52. ° South -- fine weather, Wind fair -- but blowing a smart gale at North West. 
Sunday 3. March !
The gale still continues blowing fresh -- but fair.
One of my poor Native companions - (the largest of the two received from Mr. Meehan) died this day in consequence of having had his leg broken in his kage. [sic] 
Monday 4. March
The gale has greatly increased, the Sea is very high, and the ship labours very much -- but the Wind is quite fair -- and we are going at the rate of 8 and 9 miles an Hour.
One of my large Kangaroos ( -- a Buck) Died this day in consequence of a severe hurt he received in his Birth [sic] -- which lamed him so as to render all attempts to cure him ineffectual.
Wednesday 13. March!
The gale has left us and we have had contrary Winds for the last 3 or 4 days, but in Wind became again fair for us today -- and we now steer our proper Course. 
My youngest Kangaroo ( a Buck and which was born at Sydney -- ) was found dead this morning in his Birth [sic] -- which I am very sorry for, as he was a beautiful animal. -- I had him opened but he did not appear to have any internal hurt or disease. --- 
N.B. I omitted to mention under its proper date, that during the severe hard gale we had on the Night of the 9th. Instant (March), we lost six very fine fat sheep, owing to the violent motion and labouring of the Ship, and probably also in some measure owing to their being rather too much crowded in the Pen between Decks. -- This we must consider a serious loss in the early part of our voyage. 
Friday 15. March !
This day -- month we left Port Jackson, and have now happily and speedily got through about two thirds of the Voyage from thence to Cape -- which we hope to double in a fortnight. -- We have fine weather -- the wind is fair -- and we going generally 7 and 8 Miles an Hour. --- 
Sunday 17. March !
The youngest of my Native Companions (--which was given me by Mr. Daved Johnston), was found dead this morning in his kage [sic]. 
Thursday 28. March !!!
This being the happy anniversary of the Birth-Day of our dear beloved Son Lachlan, who this day completed his Eighth year, it was kept and celebrated with every possible demonstration of Joy that our present confined situation on board ship could admit of.
-- We had the Captain and all the Officers of the ship to dine with ourselves, and we also treated the whole of the Ships Company to a plentiful Dinner of Fresh-meat and a hearty drink of Grog! In the Evening we had Fire-works and the Dining Cabins were tastefully fitted up under the direction of Mrs. M. and the Captain with the Colours of the Ship. 
It is with infinite pleasure that I am here enabled to record that on this joyful happy Festifal, [sic] my dearest Elizabeth, Lachlan, and myself were in excellent Health and Spirits -- and completely happy. --- 
This also proved a most auspicious day as it produced a sight we have been for many days most anxious to enjoy, but which we almost despaired of seeing this day. We were, however, most agreeably surprised, on retiring from dinner [NN] and going upon Deck to see the Fire-works preparing there, to hear the cry of "Land in Sight" -- echoed out from many voices. -- This was at a quarter past 6 o'clock in the Evening -- just as the Sun had Set. -- The Land however was clearly discernible -- being about eight miles distant from us, and bearing North West of us. -- This Land proved to be that which we were so earnestly anxious to see -- namely, the island of "Diego Ramirez" a little to the Southward of Cape Horn. -- This island was high, and appeared like several detached little Islands. -- The Wind being rather on the Shore, we stood off from the Land for some Hours during the Night. -- It was blowing a pretty smart gale when we first saw Diego Ramirez. --- 
Our Lat. at Noon this day was 56. ° 30' South -- and Longd. 68. ° 48' West. --- 
N.B. In our Progress towards Cape Horn, we never went farther to the Southward than 57. ° 8'. --- 
Friday 29. March!
At Day-light this morning we had the pleasure of seeing Cape Horn distinctly bearing North West of us, and distant about 15 miles ! in appearance resembling the "Lion's Rump" at the Cape of Good Hope - the Land being moderately high. Our Latd. today at Noon was 55. ° 49' South, and Longd. 66. ° 14' West. --- 
Thus we have happily and safely doubled Cape Horn within the space of Six Weeks - being only this day that space of time from Port Jackson! -- very few vessels having ever made a quicker Passage from that Port round Cape Horn and it is highly gratifying to think that we have done so without meeting with any accident or disagreeable occurrence of any sort. --- 
The weather was very moderate in the morning when we saw Cape Horn, but the latter part of the Day became squally, with heavy showers of Snow and Hail during the Day and succeeding Night. We now steer a Northern course being now to the Northward of Cape Horn. --- 
This afternoon a large whale about 50 feet long, was seen very near the Ship. - The weather is now very cold -- the Mercury in the Thermometer being down to 34 Degrees. --- 
Monday 1. April !
At Noon this day we were in Latd. 52. ° 39' South, and Longd. 54. ° 34' West; being now about Ninety Miles to the Eastward of the Center of the group of Falkland Islands. -- with the view of making a quicker Passage to the Line -- as having a greater distance by going more Easterly -- it was Capt. Raine's first intention to steer a course close to the South American shore, and pass through the Strait dividing it from the Falkland Islands; -- but the Winds not admitting of his prosecuting that intention, he has now altogether abandoned it. --- 
Wednesday 3. April !
One of my largest Emus was this day found dead in his Pen, and on being Disected [sic] his inside was found a good deal diseased. --- 
Tuesday 9. Apr. !
We have had contrary and variable winds for the last 4 Days. -- This afternoon it came round suddenly to South East -- consequently quite fair for us -- and we hope it to be the commencement of the regular South East Trade Wind. --- 
Thursday 25. Apr. !
Our South East Wind failed us in 2 or 3 days -- and for several days past we have variable winds or calms. 
 --- -Memo ! --- -- Saty. 20th April 1822 !!!
This afternoon our dear Lachlan had a very dreadful fall from off one of the Bird Cages -- and got jammed under the Long Boat, by which his Forehead was cut and severely bruised. --- L.M. 
Our Latd. today at Noon was 23. ° 43' South, and Longd. 34. ° 58' West -- We had now a fair wind -- but very light. 
At 4 p.m. we crossed the Tropic of Capricorn -- and have now every reason to hope of falling in Hourly with the regular South East Trade Wind -- peculiar to this Latitude. -- 
Sunday 28. April !
The Winds have been contrary and variable ever since we crossed the Tropic -- and still continue so -- there being no signs of the Trade Wind favoring [sic] us. --- 
At 10 a.m. this Day, we saw a square rigged vessel to the Westward of us -- steering the same course with ourselves -- being distant about six Leagues. 
Wednesday 1. May !
The Winds continue very unfavorable [sic] -- and we are often annoyed with Calms; the Winds blowing from every Quarter but the right one, and not the least appearance of the regular Trade Wind tho here we ought to have fallen in with it. -- The weather is excessively hot; the Thermometer in the shade being as high as 82 Degrees. 
This morning early a small square rigged vessel passed us at the distance of about a mile, shewing Portuguese Colours, and steering South East. We did not think it worth while to speak her. --- 
Thursday 2. May !
The winds still continue as adverse as ever -- and the greater part of this day we had a dead calm. -- We are now only about 60 miles from the American Coast, and passing along the "Abrolhos" Shoal -- which extend 50 or 60 miles from the Shore. -- We sounded this morning and found Bottom at 39 -, 37- & 35 Fathoms on a Bed of Coral -- but the Water not the least discoloured. 
At 7. p.m. a light Breeze sprung up -- that enabled us to Steer [c] ourse North by East. 
Friday 3. May !
The Breeze continues, and has done so all Night. -- 
We sounded again this morning on the outward edge of the Abrolhos Shoal, and found bottom at 29 Fathoms. 
Our Lat. today at Noon was 17. ° 20' South; and we are entirely clear -- and to the Northward of the Abrolhos Islands and Banks. -- 
We are this day 11 Weeks from Port Jackson, and have not made near so much progress in our Voyage since doubling Cape Horn as we expected to have done being rather sanguine in our hopes of crossing the Line in one month from the time of doubling Cape [Horn] which only adverse Winds prevented. 
Saturday 4. May !
We may now consider ourselves in possession of the Trade Winds. The fine Easterly Breeze which set in on Thursday Evening still continuing to blow from the same Quarter -- which enables us to [NN] our course North by East -- and going generally at the rate of 5, 6, and 7 Knots. -- our Latd. today is 14. ° 56' South -- and Longd. 38. ° West. Our Voyage from Cape Horn having been so much more longer than was at first expected, our stock of water getting, and Capt. Raine being in want of & Provisions for his own crew, he has determined with my concurrence to touch at St. Salvadore, one of the Portuguese Ports on the Coast of Brazil, and now within about 120 miles of us, in order to obtain water and other Refreshments for the remaining part of the Voyage. 
From the distance being so short, we expect, in case the present Wind lasts, to arrive at St. Salvadore in the course of tomorrow. --- 
At 1/2 past 4. p.m. we came up with, and spoke to a Portuguese Brig bound from Rio Grande (on Brazil Coast) to St. Salvadore, ladened with Rice, Sugar, & Cheese, being 35 days out from the former Port. -- N.B. We saw this vessel at a great distance directly ahead early this morning. 
My man George having reminded me that this was the anniversary of the storming and capture of Seringapatam on the 4th. of May 1799, we all drank a Bumper to the Health of Genl. Baird and the Conquerors of that important Fortress, in which poor George himself was not forgotten. 
Sunday 5. May !
We had a fine fair wind all last Night -- and lay-to for 2 Hours for fear of over-shooting our Port. --- 
At 8. a.m. Land was seen from the Mast Head, and at a quarter past Nine O'Clock, we could see the Land very distinctly from the Deck -- right-a-Head and about 18 miles distant from us. -- The Coast here appears rather low -- and broken into small Hummocks. 
As we approached nearer the Land, we had a very fine [view] of the Country and the Forts immediately adjoining the Harbour -- which was very Picturesque indeed; -- more particularly after passing the several Forts and coming in sight of the Town and the shipping in the Harbour, which at this time appeared to be very numerous. --- 
At 1. p.m. we came to anchor in St. Salvadore Harbour, abreast of the Town and within about a mile of the shore. 
At 2. p.m. Capt. Raine went on shore to wait on the Portuguese Governor and the British Consul William Pennell Esqr. 
I addressed a Letter to the Consul by Capt. Raine stating the cause of our touching at this Port, and soliciting his good offices in facilitating our departure. 
At 4. p.m. The Packet anchored in the Harbour from England, having Mr Chamberlaine [sic] the Consul General for Rio [de] Janeiro on board. --- 
At 9. p.m. Captain Raine returned on board, and brought me a very polite friendly Note from Mr. Pennell the Consul, giving Mrs. Macquarie myself & Family a kind invitation to take up our Quarters at his House as long as we should remain at St. Salvadore -- and to land and dine with him tomorrow. -- We have accordingly resolved on availing ourselves of Mr Pennell's hospitable and kind invitation. --- 
N.B. -- Altho' by our Reckoning from Port Jackson this day of our arrival at St. Salvadore is Sunday; yet, we are according to real time and reckoning of this part of the World, and also from the circumstance of Capt. Raine having in the Surry circumnavigated the Globe since he last sailed from England, one Day more forward in our reckoning than we ought to be. -- He therefore (and of [c] ourse all of us on board the Surry) and of its the reckoning here - by going back a day in his, and consequently calls this Saturday!!! 
At 4. p.m. the same day of our arrival -- the Nockton Packet, commanded by Capt. Joseph Morphew, [NN] anchored in the Harbour close to us. -- This Packet sailed from England on the 15th of February last, but has touched at Lisbon, and several other Places, on her Passage out. --- 
Henry Chamberlaine [sic] Esqr. His B. Majesty's Consul General at Rio de Janeiro are come Passengers in the Norton. [NN] - It is singular enough that this vessel sailed from England on the same Day we did from New South Wales. -- She brings no News of any importance from England. 
Sunday 5. May 1822. --
Agreeably to the invitation we had received, we landed this Day at 1. p.m. at St.. Salvadore, and proceeded to the House of Mr Pennell Esqr. Consul of this Port, his House being situated on the ridge of the Harbour near the Eastern Extremity of the Town. -- We landed immediately under the House and had to walk up a very Steep Hill to it. -- On our arrival there, we were received with much kindness by Mr & Miss Pennell -- Mrs. Pennell being in England. 
One large Room only (but they could spare no more) was allotted for the Sleeping, Dressing of Mrs. Macquarie, Lachlan and myself. -- We took also a Man and Woman Servant with us. --- 
We found Mr & Mrs. Chamberlain -- and Lieut. Chamberlain R. Artillery living at Mr Pennell's, they having landed on the arrival of the Packet from England yesterday; they were introduced to us, and we found them pleasant acquaintances. 
We had a large Party at Dinner at Mr. Pennell's. He had invited Major Taylor, Lt. Macquarie, Capt. Raine, and Doctr. Ramsay, who dined with us, besides his own Family which is numerous. --- 
After Dinner -- about 8 p.m. Mrs. M. Lachn. & myself, accompanied by Lt. Chamberlain and our own friends of the Surry, went to see a Portuguese Play and opera performed at the opera House. -- The performance was rather below Par -- and we came Home at 10. p.m. not much amazed. -- We were conveyed in cadeiras. 
 --- --Memo ! --- --- --, St. Salvador -- Sunday Evening 5th May 1822 ! -- 
At 12, oclock this Night Mrs. George Jarvis (Mrs. Macquarie's maid servant) was safely delivered of a Daughter on board the ship Surry. --- L.M. 
Monday 6. May 1822.
After Breakfast this morning, accompanied by Messrs. Chamberlain and Pennell -- and the Gentlemen of my own Family -- I proceeded to the Portuguese Palace, or Government House, to pay my respects to the Administrators of the Civil Government of St. Salvadore -- consisting of 5 Persons -- who are here called the Junta. -- They received us very politely and with great state. --- 
We afterwards proceeded to wait on General Madeisa the Commander in Chief and Governor. -- we also met with a very kind reception from Him; tho', thro' mistake he was not appraised of my intention to visit Him. --- 
We had a very large Party again to Dinner today at Mr Pennell's -- and a still larger Party of Ladies in the Evening. -
Tuesday 7. May !
I staid [sic] at Home all this Day to write Letters for New South Wales. -- We had again a large Dinner Party today. 
A French Frigate arrived in the Harbour this day from Rio de Janeiro. --- 
Wednesday 8. May 1822.
As Capt. Raine expects to be able to sail tomorrow, we think it best to take leave of the shore -- and repair again on board ship to prepare for prosecuting our Voyage Home. -- We accordingly got up early this morning -- and Embarked on board the Surry at 8 o'clock from the same Place we landed at. -- We had invited all our friends of Mr. Pennell's Family and a few others, to Breakfast with [us] this morning on -- board the Surry. -- They came on board accordingly between 9 and 10 o'clock, and Breakfasted with us: their names being the following vizt. 
Mr. & Miss Pennell -- 2
Mr. & Mrs. Chamberlain -- 2
Lieut. Chamberlain -- 1
Mr. & Mrs. Johnston -- 2
Miss Thomson -- 1
Revd. Mr. Synge -- 1 
After Breakfast, all our Pets and other curiosities were shewn to our friends and were much admired by them. -- They returned on shore between 12 and 1 o'clock. 
Thursday 9. May !
Mrs. M. Lachlan and myself went on shore early in the morning to see the shops -- and make some Purchases in them. -- We Purchased some articles of Jewellery; and a Monkey Marmoset, alias a Sanguin of St. Salvadore, and a large green Brazillian [sic] Parrot for Lachlan. --- 
We returned to Breakfast on board ship after our shopping Expedition -- very much fatigued. --- 
Friday 10. May 1822
Capt. Raine not being able to sail this day as he intended doing, Mrs. M. Lachn. and myself, went on shore again this Day at 12 o'clock. 
We first visited some of the shops, where we made a few more Purchases of some articles of ornamental Jewellery. 
We then proceeded in hired cadeiras to Mr. Pennell's to take leave of our friends which having done and also delivered my Letters to Mr. Chamberlain, for N.S. Wales; we set out to look at a Sugar Plantation and manufactory about two miles to the Eastward of the Town of St. Salvadore; calling at the office (in Town) of Mr. Johnston the Merchant for a guide to conduct us to the Plantation. -- Mr. Wm. Mitchell, a fine young Lad attached to Mr. Johnston's accompanied us as a guide in a cadeira I hired for him. 
We had a very pleasant Ride to the Sugar Plantation, and Manufactory -- which last we went through and examined -- and saw the Sugar Cane growing along the face of an adjoining Hill. -- We went about half a mile farther, beyond the Sugar Works, from whence we had a delightful Prospect of the adjoining Country, the Shipping in the Bay, and the Town of St. Salvadore. 
It was dark before we got back to Town to Mr. Johnston's Office, where we found Capt. Raine waiting for us, and the boat being on shore and ready, we went immediately on board the Surry -- where we arrived only a little before 8 o'clock -- very tired and very hungry; not having eat [sic] any thing since we Breakfasted on board Ship. --- 
It must not be omitted that on our Halting at the Office of Mr. Johnston this afternoon to get a guide to accompany us to the Sugar Plantation, we came out for a few minutes, of the cadeiras, Lachlan leaving his fine large Hat, with some Bread and Bananas in it, in his Mama's cadeira; but on returning again to these Machines, soon Lachlan's fine Hat & Provisions were not to be found. -- In fact they had been stolen in the most barefaced manner the moment he quitted his Chair. 
This occurrence occasioned Lachlan in particular and his mother and myself also, much vexation; as the Hat was a remarkably fine Straw one, made in Chile on the West Coast of South America -- and was given very lately by Capt. Raine as a Present to Lachlan. 
Capt. Raine having now Settled all his accounts on shore, he has determined on sailing early tomorrow morning. 
Saturday 11. May 1822.
At 7. a.m. weighed anchor, and at 9. a.m. made all the Sail we could out of the Bay. -- At 10. a.m. passed Fort St. Antonio and got clear out of the Bay of "All Saints" -- or "Bahia" -- as this fine extensive Bay is more commonly called by the Portuguese themselves. 
The Town of St. Salvador is beautifully situated stretching along the Ridge of a high Hill, which the Bay forms into a crescent. It is a very large Town; is said to contain 140,000 Inhabitants; and is a Place of very considerable Trade; having many opulent English merchants residing in it. -- Refreshments of all kinds are reasonable here; and easily procured. --- 
The Wind being rather scant, we were obliged to stand away nearly South all this day and Night in order to clear the Land. --- 
Sunday. 12. May !
We made little progress during the last 24 Hours, but today we are laying nearly our course along shore. --- 
Monday 13. May !
The Wind continues rather scant -- and light -- but we are able to steer nearly our course along shore. --- 
Towards Evening the Breeze freshened, and enabled us to haul more off the Land and steer a better course. 
Tuesday 14. May !
We have lost sight of the Coast of Brazil -- the Wind is fairer and fresher, and we are now steering nearly our true course namely -- North East by East. The weather is fine but warm. 
Sunday 19. May !
We were this day at Noon in Latd. 4. ° 37 ' South; fine weather, and tolerably fair Wind, steering North East. --- 
At 5. p.m. The Island of "Fernando Noronha " (-- a small Island whither the Portuguese Government of the Brazils transport their Convicts to -- ) was seen at a considerable distance about 25 miles north west of us. 
A strange sail was seen at the same time near the Island, but we continued our course without attempting to speak her. -- The wind is from the South East. 
Monday 20. May !!!
We were this day at Noon in Latd. 2. ° 57' South and Longd. 30. ° West. -- At 5. p.m. we had the misfortune to lose our Cook James White, alias Wait, very unexpectedly. 
He was only taken ill on Saturday morning last, and every possible attention was paid him by Doctr. Ramsey. His complaint was Cold and Fever but he never was at all considered in any Danger, and his Death was consequently as unexpected as it was sudden. 
He had gone on shore without any permission to St. Salvador on the Day before we sailed, and there got violently intoxicated with the ardent Poisonous spirits of that Place, to which, in part, his sudden Death is principally to be ascribed, and which we all sincerely lament; as, he was, in all other respects, a very well behaved man. -- He had obtained from some time since an absolute Pardon (-- being only under seven years sentence), and was now on his way Home to join his wife and Family; having embarked on board the Surry as my Cook for the voyage to England. -- 
Tuesday 21. May !
The Remains of the late James Wait ( -- alias White -- ) were this morning, at 8, oclock, committed to the Deep, in all one form; the ships company being all present, and Capt. Raine have read the Funeral Service on the melancholy occasion.
An inventory was afterwards [word missing] by Capt. Raine, in my presence and in that of all the officers of the ship, of all the Effects of the deceased -- consisting only of a few Necessaries; the whole being locked up again in his own Chest, which was also sealed with a List of its Contents; Capt. Raine retaining a counterpart thereof -- to be forwarded to the wife of the deceased. 
We were this day at noon in Latd. 1. ° 17' South; -- so that we have every reason to hope we shall cross the Line tomorrow morning. 
Wednesday 22. May !!!
We crossed the Line, or Equator, some time this morning between the Hours of 1 and 3, oclock, with a very fine 7 knot Breeze from the South East. -- At Noon we were in Latd. 0. ° - 48' -- North and retained this fine fair Breeze all day. -- We crossed the Line in between 29. ° and 30. ° of West Longitude. 
The usual ceremony of Neptune coming on board -- shaving etc. etc. were dispensed with, our dear Lachlan and George's Infant, being the only Persons on board who had never crossed the Line before. -- But to make amends to the Sailors for their disappointment in respect to this ceremony, we treated them with a good Dinner and some Grog! -- 
This day 13 years ! -- I sailed with Mrs. M. from St. Helens in England for N. S. Wales on board the Dromedary ! 
Thursday 6. June 1822 !
We this forenoon crossed the Tropic of Cancer - being this day at Noon in Latd. 23. ° 58' North Latitude -- We are now in hopes of seeing dear old England in 3 weeks from this date! 
Monday 10. June 1822.
We were this day at Noon in Latd. 30. ° 42' N. and in Longd. 41. ° 30' West. -- We spoke and passed at 11. a.m. a Ship belonging to the Portuguese Nation bound from Parnanbucco (?) to the Western Islands. 
We have now a very fine fair Wind from the South East - and going generally six Knots per Hour with very fine fair weather -- and a smooth Sea -- Capt. Raine thinks we shall see England in fifteen days from this date. 
Thursday 13. June 1822 !
We have been the greater part of yesterday and today becalmed and consequently have made very little progress - being this day at noon only in Latd. 35. ° 37' North. --- 
A great number of Sperm Whales were this forenoon seen at about Half a Mile distance from the Ship playing themselves -- and spouting beautifully. 
We saw two Strange Vessels this day to Leeward of us about Ten Miles, standing apparently the same way with ourselves; but being at so great a distance we did not attempt to speak them. 
This being the anniversary of my beloved wife's Birthday her Health was drank in a Bumper after dinner for many many returns of it. --- There was a fine Turtle weighing 42 Pounds weight caught this day, which we are to feast at Dinner on Sunday next. -- It was seen swimming past us in the afternoon and we lowered a Boat to catch it. --- 
Two more large Sperm Whales were seen close to the Ship this Evening playing and Spouting. -- A large Shark was also seen close astern this morning -- and was very [sic] caught by Mr. Hall. 
This auspicious Day has therefore been very remarkable for Sights of all sorts. --- 
Friday 14. June !!!
This day 4 months (16 weeks ago) we sailed from Port Jackson. --It being almost a dead Calm since yesterday at Noon; and consequently we have made little or no progress for the last 24 Hours. --- 
There are no less than Six Sail of strange Vessels in sight this afternoon -- all steering the same course with ourselves; -- One of them a few miles ahead of us, appearing to be a large English East Indiaman. 
Saturday 15. June 1822.
We spoke one of the Strange Sails (seen yesterday) this forenoon, and she proves to be the ship "Charles" of Jersey from Rio Grande, Homeward bound. --- 
At Noon today we were in Latd. 37. ° 5' North, and in Longd. 38. ° West. -- The wind is now perfectly fair for us, and we are going at the rate of 7 Knots per Hour. --- 
Sunday 16. June 1822 !
We have had a very fine fair Wind for the last 24 Hours -- but it is very slack today -- tho' it still continues fair. -- The Indiaman -- and the ship we spoke yesterday are still in sight but the former has got the start of us by about 12 miles. --- 
This Day at Noon we are in Latd. 38. ° 46' N. & Longd. 34. ° 10' W. --- 
Monday 17. June 1822 !
This day at Noon we were in Latd. 39. ° 56' North -- and in Longd. 31. ° 24' West. -- We are now therefore clear of the Western Islands -- or "Azores" -- being 24 miles to the northward of "Corvo" the northernmost of them; and, if we have any tolerably good luck, we shall arrive in the English Channel in 12 Days from this date. --- 
There are two large ships ahead of us, steering the same course. --- 
Tuesday 18. June 1822.
We Telegraphed with the nearest to us of the two Strange Sails in sight this forenoon, and she turns out to be the ship "Wm. Milles" from Calcutta bound to London. -- She is a Free Trader -- and has no news. -- At Noon today we are in Latd. 41. ° 15' North and Longd. 29. ° West. -- The Wind is quite fair -- and we are going Six Knots per Hour. 
The weather is now very fine & mild but occasionally cloudy. We spoke the "Miles" [sic] in the Evening. 
Wednesday 19. June 1822 !
We have been quite becalmed since Day-light this morning. At Noon we were in Latd. 41. ° 54' N. and in Longd. 26. ° 37' W. 
One of my largest and best Swans died this afternoon. 
Thursday 20. June 1822.
It has continued almost a dead Calm all yesterday and last Night. -- We are this day at Noon only in Latd. 41. ° 56' North, and in the same Longitude as yesterday. The Calm still continued. 
Friday 21. June !
We have still a continued Calm -- and consequently unable to make any progress in our Voyage. -- The Ship "Wm. Milles" is close to us all this day. -- In the afternoon, her Commander, Capt. Samuel Beadle, came on board to visit us. - We mutually interchanged some few articles of Provisions we reciprocally required. --This Ship touched at St. Helena and sailed from Bengal in January last having a great many Passengers on board from that country. 
Capt. Beadle informs us that the Marquis of Hastings is going Home immediately, and is to be succeeded by Mr Canning. 
Saturday 22. June 1822.
A light Breeze of Wind from the Westward Sprang up this morning about 2 oclock -- and enabled us to steer our proper course. 
It rained the greater part of Last Night -- and continues still to do so at Noon, which prevented our getting an Observation of the Sun. --- 
The Wm. Milles continues still near us -- the two Ships sailing very equally. --- 
Wednesday 26. June
We have had very Light or Baffling Winds from Saturday last till yesterday morning when the Wind came round to North West -- and blew a fine Breeze. -- 
We are this day in Latd. 45. ° - 34' N. and in Longd. 18. ° - West. -- The Wind continues fair for us -- and we are going Six Knots. -- The Ship Wm. Milles continues still in company. --- 
I had the misfortune to lose one of my Cape Barren Geese this morning, it having found Dead in its Pen. -- am very [word missing] for this loss, as I had only four of these rare Birds altogether. --- 
Saturday 29. June.
We are this day in Latd. 47. ° 48' N., and Longd. 8. ° 50' West at Noon. -- We are in hope of striking Soundings this Evening, in case the present Breeze continues, and seeing the Lizard Point in dear old England by Sunset tomorrow Evening. -- We had a very fine strong and fair Wind all Thursday -- but it yesterday slackened very much and also Headed. -- We ly [sic] our right course -- and have a five Knot Breeze. -- the Ship Wm. Milles is still to be seen far astern but nearly out of Sight. -- at 8. p.m. Hove to and try to sound with 115 Fathoms but found no bottom. 
Sunday 30. June 1822.
The Wind was rather scant for us all this Day -- but we nevertheless were able to lay up our proper Course of North by East for the English Channel -- which we are now approaching very fast -- being at Noon this day only 135 miles from the Lizard. -- We find there is a Strong Current against us all this day setting us a good deal back of our Dead Reckoning -- ; so that we have now no chance of seeing Land this Day. Latd. 48. ° 51' N. and Longd. 6. ° 25' West. At 12 oclock at Night, we sounded and found bottom with 43 fathoms of Line, clearly indicating that we are now in the Chops of the English, but still too far from Land to see it, or even any of the Lights on the Coast. --- 
Monday 1. July 1822.
At 1/2 past 2, o'clock this morning, Captain Raine awoke us to report that from his last Soundings he knew that we were now advanced some way into the English Channel -- and had passed the Lizard last Night -- or rather very early this morning. 
At Day-light Land was clearly seen from the Deck, and by 3 A.M. we were abreast and in sight of the "the Start," sailing up Channel with a very fine strong fair Breeze; there being no less than 12 or 14 Sail of Shipping in sight at this time, some going up Channel, and some upward Bound. -- When I got up and went upon Deck at 8 o'clock, we were in sight and nearly abreast of the Bill of Portland -- distant about Ten miles from the shore; the coast looking beautiful. 
Our Latd. this day at Noon was 50. ° 24' North and our Longd. 4. ° 30 West. 
We were at this time nearly abreast of the Isle of Wight -- the Breeze still continuing fair for us -- and blowing pretty strong. Two Cows -- Pilot Vessels Spoke us this forenoon; but we do not take a Pilot on board until we reach Dungeness. 
We ran a distance of 220 miles during the last 24 Hours. --- 
Tuesday 2. July 1822.
Early this morning we were boarded by Mr. Henry Griggs one of the Branch Pilots Stationed at Dover for Piloting Ships and Vessels from the Channel to Gravesend in the River Thames. He accordingly took the entire charge of the Ship. 
We passed Dover at Noon -- then Deal, Hythe, Ramsgate Margate &c. &c. &c. 
At 11. p.m. we came to anchor 3 miles below the Nore, near the mouth of the Thames; our distance run this day being 160 miles. 
Wednesday 3. July --
We weighed anchor at 5. a.m. and got under weigh with the Tide of Flood; -- but the Wind being fore we had to beat up the River; there being about 20 Sail of Shipping in Company. --- 
At Noon we came to anchor in the River, on the turning of the Tide, abreast of the Town of Lee in the County of Kent. 
We passed on our Right, in the county of Essex, that beautiful Watering Place for Sea Bathing called "South-End." 
Several large and some of them particularly beautiful, passed us after we had come to anchor today, full of Passengers coming from and going to London. A great number of Ships & Vessels also past [sic] us coming down and going up the River Thames.
At 1/2 past 6. p.m. weighed anchor and began working up the River with the Tide of Flood - but the Wind still continues fore. 
At 1/2 past 10. p.m. we came to anchor close to Gravesend, on the Tide of Flood getting slack; -- A great number of Ships being in Company. --- 
Thursday 4. July !
We weighed anchor at 1/2 past 8, o'clock this morning, at the beggining [sic] of Flood Tide. 
At 1/2 past 1 p.m. we came to anchor immediately abreast of Woolwich, from whence we see St. Pauls and the Spires of some other Churches in London, being here only 8 miles distant from that Capital by Land. --- 
We this day passed through a most beautiful rich and fertile Tract of country as any in the World, on each hand as we sailed up the River. -- Some of the Seats of Nobleman and Gentlemen near the River are very striking, and beautifully laid out; particularly Lord Eardley's (?) near Schooters Hill in Kent -- and Mr Avelock's at Green-Lythe, in Essex; and also Mr Zachariah Buttons, in County of Kent. 
Friday 5. July !
At 1/4 before 12 at Noon we weighed anchored and stood up the River with the Tide of Flood. -- At Half 2. P.[M.] we came to anchor at Deptford. 
At 3. p.m. I set out by Water for London in one of Thames wherries, and landed at the Stairs near the Tower at Half past 4. p.m. -- From thence I took a Hackney Coach, I called at Messrs. Coutts & Co's Banking House to get some money (£50 Str.) and took up my residence, immediately afterwards, at Osborn's Hotel in the Adelphi. -- A few minutes after my arrival there my old friend Mr. Archd. Campbell the Army Agent called on me and staid to dine with me, giving me all the Highland news; and informing me that my dear Brother Charles had been some little time since dangerously ill, but that he is now (thank God!) fast recovering. 
In the Evening I went to call on my excellent and highly esteemed friend Chas. Forbes Esqr. M.P. of Fitzroy Square; but I had not the good luck of finding him at Home, having left Town a few days since for Oxford, but from which he is expected in the course of tomorrow. 
I then proceed [sic] to call on my old worthy friend Mr. Alexr. Gray of Mary la bonne St., whom I found at Home and spent Half an hour with. -- From his House I returned to my Quarters between 10 & 11 oclock, and went immediately to Bed. 
Saturday 6. July !
Mr. Archd. Campbell Breakfasted with me at 9. a.m. -- At 10. I went out to make the necessary calls. -- I first visited my much esteemed friend Jas. Drummond Esqr. M.P. of Great George St. Westminster, and found him and Lady Emily at Home. -- I sat with them for Half an Hour. -- Mr Drummond was then so good as to accompany me to take Lodgings, which we were so fortunate as to obtain in the adjoining Street to his own, namely at No. 22. Fludyer's Street Westminster -- where I hired very commodious furnished, capable of accommodating my whole Family for Five Guineas a week. -- Mr. D. then accompanied me to the Treasury and Downing Street. -- At the former I was promised a Treasury Order for Landing my Baggage & Furniture and Presents etc. &c. free from Duty at the Custom House. 
At the latter office I was informed that Earl Bathurst would be there between 3 and 4 oclock, which would be my best time to call on Him. -- 
Mr. D. and myself then parted, and I returned to the Hotel -- from whence I took a Hackney Coach, and went to call on Genl. Balfour, Mr. Thos. Wilde,(?) and my friend Mr Chas. Forbes. -- The two former were not at Home; but the latter was just returned from Oxford, and he received me in the most kind and affectionate manner. I remained with him till 3 o'clock. -- I then returned to the Hotel to call for my Dispatches and Papers, with which I immediately proceeded to wait on Earl Bathurst, arriving at the Office 5 minutes before 4, o'clock. 
His Lordship received me immediately on my Name being announced to Him, and gave a very kind and gracious reception. -- Our Interview lasted nearly Half an Hour. -- I then proceeded to leave my name at the Duke of York's House in Stable-Yard, and afterwards at the Adjt. Genl's Office, and the Office of the Duke's Mily. Secry. at the Horse-Guards, then at Mr. Greenwoods and finally at Mr. Archd. Campbell's office in Regent Street; but these several Gentlemen had left their offices before I called. -- I then returned to the Hotel and took a hasty Dinner alone. --- 
At 5. p.m. I set out from the Adelphi by water in a wherry, to join the Surry at Rotherhithe where she was to be today. 
On arrival there, there being no tidings of the Surry, I proceeded down the River as far as Deptford where I had left her yesterday. Here I was informed she had proceeded up the River with the morning Tide, intending to go into and land her Cargo in one of the Great Docks. --- 
I accordingly returned up the River, and on my approaching the London Docks, I learnt the Surry had put into them early in the afternoon. -- I landed therefore immediately with George and my Portmanteau, but as the Dock Gates shut up regularly at 8 oclock at Night, and it being near 9 o'clock when I landed I was at first refused Entrance. 
I had therefore to wait on the Captain of the Docks (Mr. Walton) who after making many difficulties, was at length prevailed on order the Gates to be opened -- and to permit me to enter the docks alone; being obliged to send George with my Baggage to sleep in a house in the Neighbourhood of the Docks till the Gates should be opened early on the following morning. I got on board the Surry lying near the Sea Entrance into the London Docks about Ten minutes before 9, o'clock, and had the happiness of finding my dear Mrs. M. and our beloved Boy both in good Health - and only anxious for my arrival. 
As no lights are allowed on board Ships in the Docks, we all went to Bed after taking some Refreshments. -- 
Sunday 7 July !
I got up very early this morning, and went out of the docks in search of George and my Baggage in Wapping, and having found Him, I brought him along with me on board the Surry; which we purpose making our Head Quarters now till we get all our Baggage etc. etc. etc. landed and passed the Custom House. 
At 1. p.m. my good, faithful, and highly esteemed friend Charles Forbes Esqr. M.P. of Fitzroy Square, his Daughter Kitty, and youngest son James, came on board the Surry to visit us, and to see all our Pets, Horse etc. etc. -- They staid [sic] to dine with us, and left us at 6, o'clock. --- 
Lachlan made Miss Kitty Forbes a present of one of his two Cockatoos. 
Monday 8. July !
At 11. a.m. this day, Mrs. M. Lachlan and myself left the Surry, to proceed by Water to London, for the purpose of seeing and sleeping for one Night in our newly taken Lodgings. 
We took Boat near the Entrance of the docks, and had a pleasant Rowe [sic] up the Thames to Whitehall Stairs, where we landed -- and from thence took a Hackney Coach in which we drove to the House of our friend James Drummond Esqr. M.P. in Great George Street where I left Mrs. M. and Lachlan with Lady Emilly Drummond, whilst I went to make some calls in Town; Mr. Drummond himself not being at Home. 
I returned to Mr. Drummond's at 5. p.m. for Mrs. M., but found she had set out under charge of our friend Mr. Drummond to our Lodgings in Fluyder [sic] Street, where I immediately joined her. -- She was much pleased with our Lodgings -- and had ordered a little dinner for us at Home -- George was out with Lachlan walking in the Park, but came Home soon after my arrival. 
Mr. Drummond, Lady Emilly [sic], and their young Family -- and their friend Mr. Gordon of Abergeldy, (?) had appointed tomorrow for visiting us on board the Surry in the London Docks. --- 
Tuesday 9.
We Breakfasted at our Lodgings this morning, and I went out soon afterwards to make some calls in Town -- but returned again before 12, o'clock. -- We then set out for the London Docks; it being arranged that the Drummond Family should join us there at 1, o'clock. 
We only arrived about a quarter of an Hour before them on board the Ship; so that Mrs. M. was much hurried in making the necessary preparations for their reception. -- They joined us accordingly at 1. p.m., dined with us, and remained on board with us till 5.p.m. when they took their Leave and returned to Town; having expressed themselves much pleased with every thing they saw from New South Wales -- and more especially with the neatness and spaciousness of our own accommodations on board. --- 
I this day hired a Scotch Vessel called the Thane of Fife, for Seventy Pounds Sterling to convey all my Baggage, Furniture, Pets, Cow, &c. &c. to my own Seat of Jarvisfield, in the Island of Mull; -- with permission to fill her up with coals or anything else I chuse [sic] to send thither; her Burthen being Eighty Tons, and commanded by Capt. James Wilson, who has been formerly in that Country. --- 
Wedy. 10. July 1822
I went to Town to transact Business and pay visits. I obtained a promise that the Lords of the Treasury would exempt my Baggage, Presents &c. &c. ( -- with a few exceptions -- ) from paying Duty; and that Orders to that effect would be sent to the commissioners of the Customs & Excise in the course of tomorrow. -- I took an early Dinner in Town; and returned to the London Docks in the Evening. 
Thursday 11. July !
Went to Town after Breakfast and came back again to Dinner. --- 
Friday 12. July !
The Orders for landing my Baggage etc. arrived this day from the Treasury, and the officers of the Customs & Excise came on board to inspect and pass the same; which ceremony commenced today, but it appears it will take a week to go through the Business. -- I went to Town in the morning, and came back to the Ship in the Evening. --- 
Saturday 13. July 1822.
I went to Town after Breakfast, to transact business and make a few calls. -- I hired and Jobbed (?) a Carriage (Coach) and Pair of horses, agreeing to pay 25 Guineas per month for the same, besides paying the Coachman Board Wages at the rate of 2 / 6 per Diem; the whole expence [sic] commencing on and from this same day. 
I sent Horse Sultan this day to stand at Gullan's Livery Stables at the rate of 3 / - per Diem, besides Board Wages to my own groom at the rate of 2 / 6 per Diem. --