Australian Access Federation

You are here: Home Corpora Corpus of Oz Early English 1-186 (Text)

1-186 (Text)

Item metadata
author,female,Reibey, Mary,43 addressee
Narrative Discourse
Word Count :
Plaint Text :
Private Written
Irvine, 1992
Document metadata

1-186-plain.txt — 8 KB

File contents

June 20th Landed at Portsmouth 8 o'clock in the morning. Took refreshment at the inn. Set of at 9 o'clock in the coach for London.
Arrived ther at 7 in the afternoon, at the Belle Savage inn, Ludgate Hill. Took lodgings their. Wrote to Capt. Watson, my friend to procure me lodgings but through an omission in my letter of my address, he could not find me out, therefore was obliged to stay their for 3 nights, not liking to go to a strange place. Next morning after i arrived i took hackney coach and went to the office of Bell & Wilkinson having business there. After my arrival the first person i saw to my great astonishment was Mr. Jones who was as much amazed as i was to see me in London. However sat down and had a little talk about our Country and in came Mr. Underwood and of course another wonder was pronounced how i came their. i had then delivered my papers to Mr. Jones who was kind enough to say he would do anything he could and i thought it would be better had he understood the Treasury better than i where i was going after  if i had not found him their. Mr. Underwood walked back with me to my lodgings and took me and my daughters out a little to see the Town. Treated us to ice-cream and returned with us again, and left us immediately.  I was then very anxious about Capt. Watson not comeing not knowing that I had forgot to give him my address. However it so happened that I had a letter from Mr. Atkinson to his father which I mentioned to some person who told him and the old Gentleman came immediately and a finer one and a better man their cannot be. He was very much affected when he read the letter and I believe it was very Favourable to me and Daughters as he immediately asked us to his House and have kept on friendship ever since. He mentioned to Capt. Watson where we was and on the Sunday morning being the third day after our arrival at the Inn he and his Two Daughters and Capt. Watson came to take us away as he has got lodgings for me next door to himself. During the time they was comeing to meet me (I had taken Coach and drove off for his House when Mrs. Watson kindly asked us in, dinner was prepared for us. In about a half an hour in came Capt. Watson and very glad he was to see us. After we had dined he called a Coach and we went to the Inn, settled my account and took my baggage to my Lodging it being pretty generally known by our Sydney friends and those who had visited Sydney as Capt. of ships and otherwise of our arrival in London and we had a great deal of visitors. I then wrote to my cousin John Hope in Manchester prior to our going down to the Country, but did not receive an answer in Course, owing to his having been removed about a mile and a half out of town, but hearing their was a letter for him in the Post office he immediately answered it by a very kind and affectionate letter and an invitation to stay at his house. 
July 17 During our stay in London we visited the two Theatres where we saw the Provoked Husband after... Covent Gardens, the Obitiquary. after piece the Millar and his men. We did not visit many of the Public buildings owing to our being so ill. We had a medical Gentleman, Dr. White attending us upward of a fortnight who paid great attention to us. we arrived on the 20th June and left the 17th of July for the country making our stay their 27 days and the day before our departure for the country I was bled and blistered and both me and Eliza so ill...Celia was not much better
July 18 to August 6th. We arrived in Manchester the day following after 186 miles without stopping except to change horses. When we came to the Mosely Arms we found my two cousins Mr. Hargreaves, Surgeon and Druggist and Mr. John Hope waiting with a hackney coach to take us and Baggage to our Cousin Hope's a very delightful place a little way in the Country, where a Surgeon was sent for, Dr. Barton, a friend of my cousin Haigreaves, who took a great interest in recovering us as soon as possible.  he paid all attention was possible, we began to recover fast and Mr. Hargreaves very often came to take us out walking. He sent us jellys, preserves and fruit and everything he could think of for comfort. As soon as we could walk about which was about 11 days we had several invitations, the first to Dr. Barton's, one of the first Surgeons in Manchester. Mrs B. a very ladylike woman and one of the most respectable about that Country was very glad to see us and treated us very kindly wishing us to renew our visit as often as we could. We took tea with my half cousin, Mr. Aspinall. Dined and tead next day with Mr. and Mrs. Hargreaves, they made me promise on my return to Manchester that we should stop at their House. We staid at Manchester from the 8th of July to the 6th of August, being 19 days.
August 6th, We took the coach for Blackburn on the 6th where we arrived about 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Mr. John Hope accompany us. It is impossible to describe the sensations I felt when comeing to the top of Derwen Street my native home and amongst my relatives and on entering my once Grandmother's House where I had been brought up and to find it nearly the same as when I left nearly 29 years ago, all the same furniture and most of them standing in the same place as when I left but not one person I knew or knew me  but was fully requited by my Cousin Miss Hope who  met us at the door with all the affection and love of a sister. Their being beds prepared for us we became a part of the family as we had already done at her brother's in Manchester. My arrival became known to all the old inhabitants of Blackburn who had known me in my Childhood, the door hardly ever closed with people comeing out of curiosity or respect... I had often expressed a wish to see my Children confirmed in the old Church at Blackburn. We arrived there on the Saturday evening and the Bishop on the Monday following (who only comes every three years). My cousin John Hope procured certificates from the Curate of St. John's and they was admitted and was confirmed with about 300 more males and females in St. John's Church, the old church being shut up.
August 8th. During the time we were at Blackburn we was divided betwixt my father's and Mother's relations. We had a general invitation in all their houses, especially Mr. William Haydock, son of my Uncle William who is in his 74th year and Mr. Robert Brown, son of my Aunt Hindle Brown who is in her 76th year. I believe they thought they could not show me enough of attention but no place was so congenial to my mind as Miss Hope's, the most affectionate young woman I ever met with...  we met Mr. and Mrs. Little an independent Gentlemen who is one of the trustees to my Aunt Hope's estate.. John Hope and he to settle our little business relation to the Houses...Mr. David Hope Blackburn accord to his promise (27th August).. Was very proud to see each other and I found him to be one of the most affectionate men I ever met with, quite a man of business too.
Sept. 5th. Took tea at Mr. Wraith's next day and whent to see the first stone laid of the old church at Blackburn. It is somewhat singular that nearly 30 years ago before that Mr. David Hope and myself was at the Sept laying of the first stone in St. John's Church.
Sept. 7th left for Preston...arrived at Preston in an hour and a post chaise.
15th Sept....went to see Mr. Horrocks Mill and one of the proprietors showed us all through it, a most grand sight but the heat from the steam engine being too oppressive for me gave me a complete Blackburn...where I was taken very my Cousin's, Mr. Robert Brown...My Aunt Hindle Brown an old women in her 76th year would insist on sitting up with me part of the see concern and attention was admd...
From Liverpool went to Greenock Glasgow by the Robert Bruce, Steam boat Left Liverpool Tuesday, arriving one o'clock Friday.
October 21,22,23...Rained very hard...wet feet...a violent cold.
Oct 24 Whent to the Museum, passed through the Cottage to the High Church, a very grand Cathedral built by the Roman Catholics 700 years ago., a very interesting sight it was. Whent to tea at Mr. Fleming, Mr. Hope's partner. Had a little dance among the young people.
Oct 25th Wednesday whent to the see the manufactorys of making cotton balls spinning machines. We took a walk around the Clyde  passed the Roman Catholic Chaple, a very grand building, the Gaol a very spaciuous