Australian Access Federation

You are here: Home Corpora Corpus of Oz Early English 1-140 (Raw)

1-140 (Raw)

Item metadata
addressee author,male,Broadside,un
Newspaper Article
Word Count :
Plaint Text :
Public Written
Newspapers & Broadsides
Ingleton, 1988
Document metadata

1-140-raw.txt — 4 KB

File contents

The ESCAPE of the Whaler, SERINGAPATAM from the American Pirate Frigate ESSEX.
Yesterday evening, the SERINGAPATAM, of London, whaler, arrived in this Port, from the Marquesa Islands, having been recaptured by 14 men at that place, under circumstances of a very singular nature, and affording a most praiseworthy instance of what bravery and resolution, governed by prudence and discretion, can accomplish.
It seems the SERINGAPATAM had sailed from London in March, 1812 on a whaling voyage to the Coast of Peru; on which coast she captured the ship EDWARD, of Nantucket, laden with 1200 barrels of oil, and sent her a prize to England; that shortly afterwards, the SERINGAPATAM was taken by the ESSEX American frigate off the Gallipagoes Island, nearly about the same time the ESSEX captured the NEW ZEALANDER and the CHARLTON, whalers; that these ships were all carried by the Essex into Bankes's Cove, and left there by that frigate, who proceeded on another cruize; from which she returned, having captured the SIR ANDREW HAMMOND and brought her also into Bankes's Cove.
That in a little time the SERINGAPATAM, with the other captured ships, were carried to the Marquesa Islands, and the seamen continued prisoners there, treated with a cruelty scarcely ever known to have been practised among enlightened Nations; that they were wrought in heavy irons, exposed to every privation, and doomed to linger in miserable captivity. But with a spirit peculiar to the Sons of Britain, they bore their sufferings with resignation watching an opportunity to effect their deliverance from their unfeeling tyrants; and having frequently cautiously consulted together for that purpose, were at length happily furnished with an opportunity on the 6th. May last.
The ESSEX was at sea on a cruize, and expected very shortly to return, having been 6 months out; her return would have frustrated all their hopes, and, therefore the crisis of deliverance was important; they seized the moment, and what is more honourable to the interests of humanity, effected their object without bloodshed or other personal violence than which was necessary to secure three Prize-masters, who happened that day to be on board the SERINGAPATAM; our valiant Countrymen, fourteen in number, were employed in removing stores from the other captured vessels in that port on board the SERINGAPATAM; and on a signal given, they rushed upon the Prize-masters, whom they suddenly secured and bound, and having also overpowered two other men, four out of the fourteen got into a boat, repaired directly with extreme caution on board the GREENWICH (another captured vessel), and rushing into the cabin secured all the fire-arms, ammunition, and weapons, and having spiked the guns, returned to the SERINGAPATAM, where they lost no time other than what was necessary to despatch a small party on shore to spike the fort guns, and bring off such ammunition as they could procure.
Having effected this object, and returned on board, they cut the cable, and providentially aided by a light favouring breeze, escaped from the port. On the 14th. May, they came to an Anchor in Matavai bay in hopes of getting supplies of necessary things of which they were greatly in need. They found the Missionaries were removed to Eimeo, but they were able to purchase fresh provisions and fruit, and then got under way.
On the 18th they passed ulietea; on the 23rd. of the same month they saw an Island, name unknown, the Natives of which came alongside in their canoes. They seemed to have no knowledge whatever of even seeing a Ship or White Persons, as when they came op board, they smelt the crew and seemed to discredit that they were alive. On the 15th. June they sighted Norfolk Island, and on the following 20th., Ball's Pyrand and Lord Howes's Island. On the 23rd. they sighted the Coast of New South Wales, and were six days lying-too off the Coast, until met by the ship CAMPBELL MACQUARIE Calcutta to Sydney, which rendered the SERINGAPATAM assistance, and both ships arrived safely in Port Jackson, yesterday.