Australian Access Federation

You are here: Home Corpora Corpus of Oz Early English 1-120 (Original)

1-120 (Original)

Item metadata
addressee author,male,Broadside,un
Newspaper Article
Word Count :
Plaint Text :
Public Written
Newspapers & Broadsides
Ingleton, 1988
Document metadata

1-120.txt — 3 KB

File contents

The Massacre of the Crew of the BOYD
These are to certify that during our stay in this harbour we had frequent reports of a ship being taken by the natives in the neighbouring harbour of Wangarawe, and that the ship's crew were killed and eaten.
In order to ascertain the truth of the report, as well as to rescue a few people who were said to be spared in the general massacre, Mr Berry, accompanied by Mr Russell and Matingaro (a principal chief of the Bay of Islands, who volunteered his service), set out for Wangarawe with three armed boats on Sunday the 31st of December, 1809, and upon their arrival found the miserable remains of the ship BOYD, Captain John Thompson, which the natives (after stripping of everything of value) had burnt down to the water's edge.
From the handsome conduct of Matingaro they were able to rescue a boy, woman, and two children, the only survivors of the shocking event, which according to the most satisfactory information, was perpetrated entirely under the direction of that old rascal Tippahee, who has been so much and undeservedly caressed at Port Jackson.
This unfortunate vessel (intending to load with spars) was taken three days after her arrival. The natives informed the master on the second day they would shew the spars. Next day, in the morning Tippahee arrived from Tippanah and went on board. He staid only a few minutes, and then went into his canoe, but remained alongside the vessel, which was surrounded with a number of canoes which appeared collected for the purpose of trading; and a considerable number of the natives, gradually intruding into the ship, sat down upon the deck.
After breakfast the master left the ship with two boats to look for spars. Tippabee, waiting a convenient time, now gave the signal for massacre. In an instant the savages, who appeared sitting peaceably on deck, rushed on the unarmed crew, who were dispersed about the ship on their various employments.
The greater part were massacred in a moment, and were no sooner knocked down than cut to pieces while still alive. Five or six of the hands escaped up the rigging. Tippahee now having possession of the ship, hailed them with a speaking trumpet, and ordered them to unbend the sails and cut away the rigging, and they should not be hurt. They complied with his commands and came down.
He then took them ashore in a canoe and immediately killed them. The master went onshore without arms, and was of course easily dispatched. The names of the survivors are Mrs Morley and child, Betsy Broughton, and Thomas Davis, a boy.
The natives of the Spar district in this harbour have behaved well, even beyond expectation, and seem much concerned on account of this unfortunate event; and, dreading the displeasure of King George, have requested certificates of their good conduct in order to exempt them from his vengeance; but let no man (after this) trust a NEW ZEALANDER.
We further certify that we gave Tarra, the bearer of this, a small flat-bottomed boat as a reward for his good conduct and the assistance in getting us a cargo of spars. Given on board the ship CITY OF EDINBURGH, Captain Simeon Pattison, Bay of Islands, January 6th, 1810.
ALEXR. BERRY, Supercargo.